The DfE strongly encourages schools to have uniforms. This is because uniforms contribute to the ethos and culture of the school; set the appropriate tone to promote good behaviour and discipline; protect children from social pressures and support cohesion between different groups of pupils. Consequently, school uniform is encouraged at Denton West End and parents are asked to support the school in this. The wearing of school uniform encourages a sense of unity and pride in belonging to Denton West End and ensures that the children are suitably dressed for school.
- Children are not allowed to wear jeans, football shirts, casual wear or clothes bearing a logo.
- For health and safety reasons the wearing of jewellery is not permitted except for a small watch or stud earrings.
- Jewellery and earrings must be removed for P.E.
- The school accepts no responsibility for lost items of jewellery.
- Nail varnish is not encouraged. Long hair should be tied back at all times, again for safety.
Due to the restricted space in the classrooms and corridors children are not allowed to bring large bags to school.
- Book bags should be purchased so that they can fit into children’s trays.
To avoid the distress of lost uniform all items should be clearly marked with the child’s name.